Sunday 1 April 2012

Analysis Of VIBE Magazine

Below are the analysis of a front cover from the R&B and Hip-Hop magazine VIBE. This is the first piece of work I did for my music magazine and has really influenced me in the whole make-up of my magazine. From this I have found the neccesities of a magazine and also decided my genre based upon this analysis:


Companies That Would Sponsor My Magazine

A company that would sponsor my music magazine is JD. I believe JD would sponsor my music magazine because they sell clothes that would be stereotyped as R&B and Hip-Hop clothes. For example, they would deal in hi-tops which is now seen as a predominant attire amongst male R&B stars, like Justin Bieber and Usher.

Companies That Would Distribute My Magazine
A company that would distribute my magazine is Time Inc. Time Inc. is a subsidiary of the very large media company Time Warner. Time Inc. publish 130 magazines which include, NME, Time, Entertainment Weekly and more. Also Kable Media Services would distribute my magazine because they distribute over a staggering 650 magazines with 60 years of experience. They do all kinds of magazines, including R&B and Hip-Hop.

Companies That Would Publish Music Magazines
Foreign Media Group USA - Is a publishing that is based in America and publishes a variety of things, with different combinations i.e. magazines and music which would fuse together to make music magazines.

IPC – Is a publishing company that is based in United Kingdom. IPC sell over 350 million magazines a year, reaching out to two-thirds of woman in Britain and 42% of men in the UK. This company also publishes NME magazine, which is also a Hip-Hop magazine.

MusicMag – MusicMag is a music magazine publishing company, that predominantly sells magazines that are based on music instruments rather than the genre. But they do allow one or two exceptions.

How Have I chosen These Companies And How Are They Appropriate?
The reason why I have chosen JD to sponsor my magazine is because the attire that many Hip-Hop and R&B stars would wear, is exactly the types of clothes JD sell. For example gilets, baseball caps, hi tops etc. So that is why they would agree to sponsor my magazine as the readers would be fans of that genre, and to look more like their idols they would buy these clothes.
Time Inc. would be the preferred distributors for my magazine because they have a wealth of experience and distribute many other magazines. One of those magazines is NME, which has been selling magazines for nearly 50 years now.
The magazine that I would use to distribute my R&B and Hip-Hop magazine is IPC. Solely because they are one of the best, if not the best, distributing companies in the UK and like Time Inc. distribute magazines for NME. IPC magazines reach over 20 millions customers a month, roughly a third of Britain's population. All the companies that I have chosen, were researched thoroughly by myself and were compared to other companies in it's field.

Why Would These Companies Sponsor My Magazine?
In the last slide I mentioned why JD would sponsor my magazine, and that is because their target audience for selling clothes match the target audience that I am aiming for with my magazine. This way they have more chances of influencing people to buy their clothes.
Time Inc. would be willing to expand the amount of magazines they distribute as there revenue should increase. Also Time Inc. do not do R&B/Hip-Hop magazines and this means they have a wider target audience, increasing their chances of making a profit.
IPC like to distribute to all sorts of demographics and I believe they do not have a magazine that appeals to younger generations and my magazine can fill that void. They have magazines dedicated to lifestyle, home, culture, horses, gardening, sports and more, but none to R&B/Hip-Hop fans.







No comments:

Post a Comment